Saturday, December 11, 2010

I Finished the Race!

That's right!  This week I read the very last verse of Revelation.  In 88 days, I read the entire Bible!  I'm so excited and if I dare say, proud, of myself!  I'm in another bible study written by Max Lucado on Hebrews right now and that's exactly where we started this week.

In our first lesson, we focused on Hebrews 4.  My favorite verses were 15-17: "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are- yet was without sin.  Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."  Our lesson was all about how Jesus understands us.  The bible study also referenced Matthew 27:46 when Jesus is on the cross.  It reads, "At noon the whole country was covered with darkness, which lasted for three hours.  At about three o'clock Jesus cried out with a loud shout, 'Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?' -which means, 'My God, my God, why did you abandon me?' " (TEV)  Over the last year, I have felt at times that God has abandoned me.  In the midst of grief and anguish, I have wondered, "God, where are you?"  I've struggled with guilt over these feelings and was so relieved to be reminded that my own Savior, Jesus, felt as if God abandoned him at one point too.  The verses from Hebrews show that He truly understands every feeling I've ever or will ever have.  To know He understands and can empathize was like a salve to my soul.

Next, in Hebrews 12:2-3 it says, "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."  I've always loved the verse and reading it again this week reminded me of something I read in a Beth Moore study not long ago.  She said that if we look up to God, everything else will fall into proper perspective.  Focusing on Jesus helps us on this crazy road called life. 

Another verse that has meant a lot to me over the years is 1 Peter 4:16.  "However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name."  Christians will more than likely face persecution of some degree at some point in their walk.  I have been ostracized and gossiped about by friends and family because of my beliefs.  I am the type of person that wants everyone to like me and struggles with anyone not liking me, especially for something as central to who I am as my faith in Christ.  As I've nursed hurt feelings, I've turned to this verse and others like it that stress what a blessing it is to be persecuted for His name.  "Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 5:10)  In fact, I found myself searching for comfort in this area a couple of weeks ago and couldn't find the verse I was looking for.  Lo and behold, it was this verse in 1 Peter!  God led me there this week just when I needed it.  I love how He does that! :-)

I have loved this "race" and all it has taught me.  I have really developed a discipline of reading the Bible every day and have decided not to give it up.  I am starting the Chronological Bible after the holidays and am looking forward to learning even more.  I won't be posting weekly blogs, but I may post one from time to time with any thing particularly exciting God shows me!

No comments:

Post a Comment